Wednesday, December 30, 2015

LCHF Vanilla Cashew Milk


I use almond milk in all my smoothies and most of my cold coffees.  I have been buying almond milk (in bulk) from Costco for well over a year now!  It's the cheapest place to get it (at least it is in our area).  This week, I was really wanting a smoothie, but noticed that I was out of almond milk!  *Gasps*  Since almond milk is the only thing I currently need from Costco, it's not really worth the trip for me until I can build up my shopping list a little bit.  I thought about making some myself, but I didn't have any almonds either.  I was digging through my pantry, about to bite the bullet and make some milk from the dry milk in the cupboard (Meh!), when I stumbled upon a container of cashews.  They had been sitting uneaten near the back of the pantry for about 3 months, because they were the "unsalted" variety which the kid and the hubby don't really care for.  They were cheap though (from Aldi), so I couldn't bring myself to toss them, convincing myself that I could find a use for them eventually.  I had planned on roasting (and salting) them for the fam, but I decided instead to make cashew milk with some of them so I could get my smoothie fix! ;)  Oh. My. Goodness!  I'm SO glad I did!  I like this homemade cashew milk better than the almond milk I usually buy, and I can't wait to try it in all my favorite (former) almond milk-containing recipes!  If you only try ONE of my recipes for the rest of your life - make it THIS one!

Ingredients:
Directions:
  1. Place cashews in a medium bowl and cover with water.  Let sit for 2 hours.
  2. Drain cashews and rinse under running water.
  3. Place cashews into a blender.  Add the filtered water, Truvia, vanilla, and salt.
  4. Blend 1-2 minutes on high speed (I used the "Liquefy" setting on my Oster blender.)
  5. Strain cashew milk through a cheesecloth or one of these awesome nut milk bags.

Yields: about 5 cups

*Nutritional Information (per cup):






















*Nutritional information has been calculated using the MyFitnessPal app.

No comments:

Post a Comment