Friday, July 24, 2015

Salt & Vinegar Turnip Chips


Believe it or not, I never ate one turnip growing up.  My mother (who did the majority of the cooking in our house) never used turnips for any recipe.  Potatoes were cheaper, so that's what she used.  It wasn't until I had a child of my own that I tried a turnip.  After being diagnosed with PCOS, I knew that I had to start keeping an eye on my carbs.  Potatoes were certainly not off-limits, but chips were something that I knew I should avoid - especially the processed ones!  I have always loved salt & vinegar chips, so when I found this awesome Salt & Vinegar Seasoning, I knew I just had to make my own chips somehow.  With only 3 ingredients, it seriously doesn't get any easier!  I used non-stick cooking spray with these, but you could use an olive oil mister if you're looking for a "cleaner" option.  This recipe also works with other popcorn/fries seasoning flavors, but you may have to adjust your nutrition facts accordingly.


Ingredients:
    Directions:

    1. Wash and dry your turnip.  Slice thinly with a mandoline slicer.  For extra-large chips, cut in half.
    2.  Spray a cookie sheet lightly with non-stick spray (or olive oil) and place chips in a single layer on cookie sheet.
    3.  Spray a very light layer of non-stick spray (or olive oil) over chips and sprinkle very lightly with salt & vinegar seasoning (using about 1/8 teaspoon).
    4.  Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
    5.  Flip chips over and bake another 5 minutes.
    6.  Remove any chips that are done, and bake remaining chips for another 5 minutes.  Keep doing this until all chips are done.
    7.  When all chips are finally done, sprinkle with more salt & vinegar seasoning (according to taste).

    Yields: 1 serving

    *Nutritional Information (allows for up to 1/2 tsp seasoning & 1 tsp olive oil):
    *Nutritional information has been calculated using the MyFitnessPal app.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment