Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Low-Carb, Low-Calorie French Fries with Fry Sauce


I have had so many Low-Carb friends tell me how very much they miss French Fries.  I totally get it!  French Fries are freaking awesome!  Well, it just so happens that turnips make pretty good fries.  And if you use a crinkle cutter to cut them (see below), they even LOOK like "real" fries!  I have heard of people making fries with green beans, and one of these days I'll try that, too.  But in the meantime, I'm enjoying the heck out of these turnip fries!  And let me just say, that the fry sauce  really makes these out-of-this-world!  Even my picky kid will devour these within minutes!  If you have a craving for "real" French Fries and these turnip fries don't completely squash it, I will eat my foot.  ;)


Ingredients:
    • 1/4 cup mayonnaise (I used Hellmann's with Olive Oil)
    • 1/8 cup low-carb ketchup (I used Heinz Reduced-Sugar)
    • 1 teaspoon dill pickle juice (from a jar of dill pickles)
    • 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
    • 1 large turnip
    • Salt & Pepper (to taste)
    Directions:
    1. Combine mayonnaise, ketchup, pickle juice, and onion powder.  Whisk together until thoroughly combined.  Refrigerate, covered, until ready to use.  (Fry sauce yields about 6 tablespoons total, or 3 servings.)
    2. Thoroughly scrub and dry turnip.  Chop off ends.
    3. Using a crinkle cutter, cut turnip into fry shapes.
    4. Spray a cookie sheet with nonstick spray (or with an Olive Oil Mister).  I used butter-flavored nonstick spray.
    5. Place fries on cookie sheet.  Lightly coat tops of fries with nonstick spray.  Sprinkle (to taste) with salt and pepper.
    6. Bake for 15 minutes.
    7. Flip fries over and bake another 8-15 minutes (depending on fry size and thickness).
    8. Serve with 2 tablespoons of the fry sauce.

    Yields: 1 serving (plus extra fry sauce)

    *Nutritional Information (includes 2 Tbsp of Fry Sauce):





















    *Nutritional information has been calculated using the MyFitnessPal app.  Sugar alcohols not calculated.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment