Sunday, May 3, 2015

Peanut Butter Vanilla Protein Bites


Those of you who know me, know that I love ViSalus protein shakes!  A while back I was looking for new things to do with my ViSalus, and I stumbled upon this recipe from Treadmill Runway.  I loved the recipe when I tried it, but I wanted to add even more protein with one of my favorite superfood ingredients - Chia seeds.  Not only do they add a whole array of nutrients*, but Chia seeds also have a great superpower when trying to watch your weight.  Chia seeds help you to feel fuller because they expand up to 10x their original size when added to liquid!  I personally like double Chia seeds in this recipe, but both the hubby and the kid prefer a less potent Chia experience.  I'm giving you the recipe that I prepare for them, but feel free to double the amount of Chia seeds if it's something you really enjoy - just don't forget to adjust your nutritional information accordingly.

*Chia seeds contain: Protein, Fiber, Omega-3s, Calcium, Manganese, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Zinc, Vitamin B3 (Niacin), Potassium, Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) and Vitamin B2.


Ingredients:
Directions:
  1. Combine the protein powder, powdered peanut butter, hemp hearts, and Chia seeds; mix well.
  2. Add the water to the dry mixture and mix thoroughly.
  3. Refrigerate mixture for about 15-20 minutes, until firm.
  4. Roll mixture into 6 balls (about 1 tablespoon in size).  NOTE:  If mixture is too sticky to work with, you can apply a very light layer of coconut oil to the palms of your hands to help prevent sticking. 
  5. Melt the chocolate chips in a small bowl in the microwave.
  6. Coat each ball very thinly in the melted chocolate and place onto wax paper.
  7. Refrigerate until chocolate has set, at least 20 minutes.  Keep refrigerated until ready to eat.

Yields: 6 servings

*Nutritional Information:


*Nutritional information has been calculated using the MyFitnessPal app.

No comments:

Post a Comment