Those of you who know me, know that I love ViSalus protein shakes! A while back I was looking for new things to do with my ViSalus, and I stumbled upon this recipe from Treadmill Runway. I loved the recipe when I tried it, but I wanted to add even more protein with one of my favorite superfood ingredients - Chia seeds. Not only do they add a whole array of nutrients*, but Chia seeds also have a great superpower when trying to watch your weight. Chia seeds help you to feel fuller because they expand up to 10x their original size when added to liquid! I personally like double Chia seeds in this recipe, but both the hubby and the kid prefer a less potent Chia experience. I'm giving you the recipe that I prepare for them, but feel free to double the amount of Chia seeds if it's something you really enjoy - just don't forget to adjust your nutritional information accordingly.
*Chia seeds contain: Protein, Fiber, Omega-3s, Calcium, Manganese, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Zinc, Vitamin B3 (Niacin), Potassium, Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) and Vitamin B2.
- 1 serving vanilla protein powder (I used 2 scoops of ViSalus)
- 4 tablespoons powdered peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons hemp hearts
- 1/2 tablespoon Chia seeds
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 ounce 60% bittersweet cacao nibs
- Combine the protein powder, powdered peanut butter, hemp hearts, and Chia seeds; mix well.
- Add the water to the dry mixture and mix thoroughly.
- Refrigerate mixture for about 15-20 minutes, until firm.
- Roll mixture into 6 balls (about 1 tablespoon in size). NOTE: If mixture is too sticky to work with, you can apply a very light layer of coconut oil to the palms of your hands to help prevent sticking.
- Melt the chocolate chips in a small bowl in the microwave.
- Coat each ball very thinly in the melted chocolate and place onto wax paper.
- Refrigerate until chocolate has set, at least 20 minutes. Keep refrigerated until ready to eat.
Yields: 6 servings